To contact the Charter Review Committee, click here
In April, 2018, the Board of Selectmen appointed nine Westborough citizens to the Charter Review Committee. The Charter Review Committee is an advisory committee to the Board, and is charged with the following:
- To review the four forms of municipal government (as described in Massachusetts law) available to the Town of Westborough, including our current form of Open Town Meeting, and recommend a change, if appropriate.
- If the Committee recommends a change in government, the Committee will address the key elements supporting its recommendation, and also specify its reasons for not recommending the other forms of government available.
- The Committee may also recommend that changes to the current form of government be made via amendments to the Town Charter or Bylaws, if the Committee believes that this is the best course of action.
The four forms of municipal government to be reviewed are:
- Mayor/City Council
- Council/City Manager
- Open Town Meeting/Selectmen/Town Manager*
- Representative Town Meeting/Selectmen/Town Manager
* Current form of government
The Committee held its initial organizational meeting on May 29th, and has since been meeting every two weeks, gathering information and data, and planning for the next steps in the review process. These next steps – to begin soon - will involve meetings with current and former town officials, town departments, business leaders, volunteer organizations, and individual citizens of Westborough.
All meetings are open meetings. A calendar of subsequent meetings will be posted shortly.