Duties and Responsibilities
The committee will perform the following activities:
- Advise the Board of Selectmen and other town officials, boards, commissions, committees, and departments on matters related to proposed recreational paths and active transportation improvements.
- Work with the Open Space Preservation Committee, Conservation Commission, Planning Board, and other town departments and boards to develop a ''Rail Trail", or multi-use trail, to include sections along an old trolley line in accordance with the Feasibility Study. And, to identify “stand-alone” sections of the multi-use trail and make recommendations to the Board of Selectmen as to priority sections to pursue. Work with state agencies and other organizations as needed.
- Work with Open Space Preservation Committee, Conservation Commission, Planning Board, and other town departments and boards to develop trails throughout the Town.
- Responsible for working with the Department of Public Works to insure compliance with Complete Streets policy and monitoring of Complete Streets.
- Work with Sustainable Westborough, the Westborough School Department, and local businesses to encourage a bicycle community and community investment in bicycle racks, signage, and other mutually beneficial amenities.
- Coordinate with the Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority (MBTA), the Central Massachusetts Regional Planning Commission (CMRPC), and the Worcester Regional Transit Authority (WRTA), Economic Development Committee, and Council on Aging to develop, and support intermodal transportation solutions.
- Work with the Police Department, Fire Department, Department of Public Works, Planning Department, and Conservation Department to encourage safe biking, walking, and active transportation. Work with these departments to address related safety concerns and make recommendations to the Board of Selectmen as appropriate.
- Work with Town Planner and Town Manager to obtain necessary easements.
- Encourage bicycle education and riding skills development to improve safety for cyclists of all ages.
- Create a “Safe Routes to School Subcommittee”, which would include one School Committee Member, responsible for working with MassDOT’s Safe Routes to School Program to make safety improvements and walk/bike-ability improvements to each of the schools.
- Coordinate with neighboring communities to provide inter-town opportunities for active transportation.
- The committee shall file annual reports with the Board of Selectmen to update the Board on the progress of the above-mentioned activities, which shall be included in the Annual Town Report published by the Town Clerk @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>