Snow Operations Information
RESIDENT TIPS FOR A SUCCESSFUL OPERATION
We ask that residents PLEASE…
- Do not shovel, plow, or blow snow or ice into the roadway or across the opposite side of the roadway. It is not only illegal, but can be a serious traffic hazard. If you have a private contractor plowing your driveway, be sure to remind them of this as the property owner will be held responsible. Violation is a finable offense under Article 46 of the Town of Westborough’s General Bylaws.
- Remove all recycling/trash containers or other large items such as basketball hoops so they do not interfere with snow removal operations. The Town is not responsible for damage to items left in the right-of-way.
- Consider waiting until plowing is complete before shoveling at the end of a driveway. Operators make multiple passes during a storm and will deposit snow in your driveway even after you’ve shoveled.
- Assist with clearing snow from nearby fire hydrants. There are over 800 public hydrants in the Town.
- Consider clearing snow from storm drains near your property as this will facilitate better snowmelt runoff.
- Contact the DPW office (508-366-3070) if there is an issue with a plow operator. In addition to town staff, the DPW also hires contract plow operators.
- Avoid driving or walking on the roads during a storm, particularly at night. Limiting vehicle and pedestrian traffic enables plowing to be more efficient and safer for all involved.
PRIOR TO THE STORM
- The DPW responds by pre-treating all roads with material.
- Treating the road surface prior to snowfall prevents snow and ice from bonding to the road, which enables snow and ice to be removed more quickly and efficiently.
- If weather allows, treatment may occur several hours prior to a storm. For example, DPW may treat roads on a Friday afternoon, prior to the weekend.
- Treatment routes are pre-determined.
DURING THE STORM
- Plowing begins when there is an accumulation of approximately 3 inches of snow on road surfaces.
- Contract plow operators assist DPW.
- Plow routes are pre-determined.
FOLLOWING THE STORM
- In the days following a storm, scraping and treating of roads continues depending upon weather forecasts.
- Snow is removed from intersections and parking lots where line of sight is a concern or access to a town facility is restricted by snow piles.
DOWNTOWN SNOW REMOVAL
- The DPW will remove snow from portions of the immediate downtown. Typically this will occur 1-2 days post-storm event and between the hours of 11PM and 6AM. All snow is deposited at the DPW facility in a DEP approved area.
SIDEWALK SNOW REMOVAL
- The Westborough Select Board implemented a policy on Sidewalk Snow Plowing Operations dated November 12, 2019.
- The DPW is responsible for over 15 miles of sidewalk snow clearing.
- The policy identifies sidewalks located near schools, MBTA station, and the downtown area.
- The Westborough Select Board implemented a Policy on Damaged Mailboxes dated December 18, 2018.
WINTER PARKING BAN
- Winter street parking ban 11PM-7AM November 1 – April 1.
- Vehicles illegally parked will be ticketed and possibly towed at the owner’s expense.
- If a severe storm is expected, adjustments to the ban may be announced.